Friday, October 14, 2011

Fuzzy Ear Muffs

-I MIGHT have gotten Macy this:


I can't decide whether it is just plain cute, or cute in its ugliness. The dilemma was that I found Macy's winter coat at Gap for a decent price of $35, and it was either blow $7 on shipping, or spend another $15 and get free shipping and SOMETHING. I couldn't pass it up. I mean, fuzzy ear muffs. Come on.

-I cycled Macy's wardrobe out this afternoon. I boxed up all her 18-month summer clothes and listed them on ThredUP, made her 24-month still-usable summer clothes accessible, and hung up all her winter clothes. As I was hanging everything up, much of it ThredUP finds, I kept thinking "in all reality, am I REALLY going to put her in this?" I found many good finds on that site, many of which I can't wait to use, but I also got some so-so stuff. I ended up adding a good bit of it to the Goodwill pile today. I can deny it all I want, but I am still a baby clothes snob. I think I might start leaning more towards wracking up clearance items 9 months ahead of time and shopping the consignment store as my primary methods of saving. I just used $50 in Gymbucks and got a ton of summer clothes for next year on clearance, so I feel like I came out really good there.

-I think our fish had a stroke. We've been waiting for him to die for about a week now, but he is still hanging on. Right now he is lying on the bottom of the tank. We know he is alive because we can get him, or at least half of him, to start struggling to swim if we shake the tank. I bought some anti-fungal/anti-bacterial drops and was changing his water daily, so I gave him my best shot. At this point, I just don't know that he can survive another water change, so we're waiting on him to die peacefully. Who are these people who can keep betta fish alive for more than a few months?

-The newest baby on Parenthood was born (really good episode, by the way). Her name is Nora. That is one of the names I was considering bringing to the table for Macy. I can't remember if I ever did. Really, I don't remember a whole lot about the baby-naming process this time around. I think we both agreed on Macy early on but might have discussed others before solidifying it. Other names I really liked and, if up to me and only me, would have seriously considered were Lexi, Lucy, Jocelyn, Maya and Alice. That's about it. I don't have a single regret in the world about naming her Macy. I love, love, love it.

-I now own jeggings. Andy got me some for my 30th. I never thought I would have the guts to wear jeggings. I certainly don't have the guts to allow anyone in this whole wide world witness the process of gettng into them, but once they are on, they are awful comfy.

-I don't have a whole lot of trouble sleeping anymore. 2 tricks: Calcium supplements and melatonin. Several years ago, I could never fall asleep on Sunday nights. My midwife told me that taking calcium before bed helps you sleep. Considering I needed to quit slacking on my calcium intake anyway, I gave it a try. It would knock...me...out. If I took 2, the next morning I would feel like I was drugged on Nyquil. One is perfect. Taking melatonin supplements also works WONDERS. I try not to let myself get dependent upon it, so I don't take it every night and try to rely on the calcium where I can, but I will take it if I know that I am going to have trouble going to sleep or if it is really late and I need to make sure I get to sleep quickly. Not only does it knock you out within 30 minutes of taking it, but it helps to maximize the sleep that you do get, even if it otherwise would not have been enough. The only weakness is that, where it helps you GET to sleep, it doesn't do anything to help you STAY asleep. The calcium is better for that. It also won't give you any benefit if your body is already producing enough melatonin. The best is taking some calcium and some melatonin before bed on a weekend night. It is a wonderful sleep. Oh yeah, the other drawback is that your ingestion of either doesn't do anything to keep the kids asleep. Oh well.

-Speaking of...Sheets are drying, so I am looking forward to getting into bed with warm, fresh sheets! Is it okay that my fabric softener is curdly?...

No comments: