I amaze myself with my newfound ability to take a deep breath and tune it all out.
Macy has begun just defaulting to tantrums as her primary mode of communication. If she wants something, she throws her head back, locates her highest octave, and screams at the top of her lungs before even attempting to communicate in a civil manner.
I would have no problem ignoring it to send the message that this is not the appropriate way to get what we want. It's just that half the time, she's wanting something that I have no problem giving her. I'm happy to give her attention or a sip of my water or whatever. I don't want her to think I am completely ignoring her needs, especially if it is just a hug she wants, so I feel caught between indulging her tantrum and teaching her appropriate behavior.
Help? Tips are welcome!
1 comment:
Sounds like she is an absolutely fabulous communicator :) In the SLP world, we would give her a high five and cheer her on for her intense communicative intent. In the mommy world, we would sneak into the pantry, spend 20 minutes rearranging cans of soup and non-perishables, and pretend like we have not arrived home from work yet. Love you girl!
Post a Comment