Monday, August 15, 2011

Sing-A-Long



I was decidedly rejected from elementary school chorus in fifth grade. I didn't know of many kids besides me who tried out and got rejected. I think even at the time I knew it was a foregone conclusion, especially with my song choice of "Sarasponda." I know we live in the age of "everyone is a winner," but this failure was a good thing for me because I learned early on that I needed to focus my efforts on finding other things I was good at (I will save my soapbox about the long-term benefits of childhood failure for another day).

So I can take full credit for NOT passing my lack of singing talent on to Liam. He has this strange new obsession with Darth Vader. I mean, seriously, he walked around with his light saber whispering "hawwww-berrrrr" and singing the Darth Vader theme all weekend. We started noticing how in tune most of it was. I mean, I think that I have made some strides in hitting notes having grown up playing instruments, but he still just might have better pitch than me, even at 3. Tonight I was singing random notes and having him sing them after me. It was neat how he would either hit them, or he would start out high or low but quickly adjust to match what I was singing. I wonder if he will go down the music road in some manner.

Otherwise, I can't figure the kid out. He is a big ball of strangeness. Great sense of humor and just a whole lot of fun to be silly with. Right now I am listening to him talk and laugh to himself as he gets himself to sleep. He's just a very, very special boy, such a brightly-shining light in this world, and I feel so blessed to be part of his life.

Macy too, of course. Her personality is just starting to emerge, though. She's starting to follow simple commands ("go put that in the trash can," "please bring me my cup," "I need a kiss," "go get your brother"). Sweetness. She's not saying any words yet, but I do recall at Liam's 15-month appointment being told that he wasn't going to be considered speech-delayed yet, but that we'd reassess at 18 months. Definitely NOT speech-delayed, so I am not too worried.

In other news, I got him some really awesome clothes on ThredUP. I always thought I would have so much more luck "shopping" for a baby girl than a rough-and-tumbling boy, especially since at that age their clothes will fit them for several seasons, and second-hand clothes will have been worn for several seasons. However, someone sent him some super-nice name-brand stuff that had probably never been worn, including an adorable dress shirt and clip-on tie. I keep getting disappointed with the girls' clothes that I get. I think I have gotten 4 boxes, and it seems like everything's been really dated. I'll get a few pieces from each box that I like, and then a lot of stuff I tell myself now I can use but will ultimately go to Good Will, I think.

At any rate, it is fun, and even if you risk some money on something that you ultimately don't like, you're only out $16 for about 15 items of clothing. If you get a couple of items out of each box that you like, then you've done well. I also earn a couple bucks' credit for sending out boxes of lower-demand sizes, and I won a free box for getting the most "likes" on my comment on a Facebook debate about removing obese children from their parents.

Kind of disliked my free box, but there was a plain navy turtleneck dress that I am excited about because I ordered some super-cute leggings to go with it.

I also might be a little addicted to ebay. Really, I just want barely-worn hand-me-downs for dirt cheap, but many people have little businesses of ordering bulk clothing, usually last-year's styles, of higher-end brands and then selling them at reduced prices, new with tags. Fun.

What's not so fun is Tuesday. I think Tuesday is even worse than Monday. On Monday, the weekend is so far away you're not even thinking about it. On Tuesday, you feel like you are getting closer, but that is when you start to realize you are oh-so-far.

No comments: