Monday, March 21, 2011

Momentum

I think my last blogging session was very therapeutic for me. Maybe I needed it to take a step back and say "Abby, you MUST do better!"

It's not that I'm against secondhand clothes in concept. I'm just picky. I have to think it's cute, and it has to look like it's never been worn. I just hadn't had much luck at our nearest consignment store, and perhaps that is just due to my lack of time and patience to really go and sift through it all.

Today I was inspired, and I am excited to report that I got 2 2-piece sets, 3 shirts, two pairs of jorts, and a hair bow for $26! Of course, this is after using about $2.00 in store credit (the whopping $2.00 I got for my 2 Snuzzlers awhile back). But still!



I also discovered the most fabulous little women's consignment store about two doors down. I just wanted to see what they had, but I had to stop after searching through the blue rack and the purple/pink rack because I couldn't stop finding cute things to try on. I walked out with 3 shirts totaling $39. I guess the trick is to find these kinds of places in upscale zip codes, where women tend to get tired of their clothes before wearing them out.

Me - I find my favorites, and I wear them out before I get tired of them. Can be a problem.

Anyways, I am hoping that as time goes on, I can find more motivation to pursue these avenues. Today's luck gave me a little momentum.

1 comment:

Christian said...

Caleb's wardrobe is made up almost entirely of 2nd hand stuff. Hilary takes care of all that and could tell you more, but a some clothes his 1st 3 years came from his cousins. My sister kept all the clothes that her boys didn't destroy and a lot of stuff was in good shape, even if it wasn't exactly what we might have picked out for Caleb (in terms of styles).

Hilary also shops over at the Kid to Kid in Buford...probably goes over there once every couple of months and gets dozens of items for $30 or less depending on the brands.

Of course, we're not quite the "PURISTS" on the matter that you're making yourself out to be. Caleb stays home a lot, so even if he did have nice threads, few people would know besides us. A lot of t-shirts and shorts, but also a handful of nice things, too.

We've also gotten some new clothes from the grandparents (where some of the nicer clothes came from). All these things combined have provided us with a next-to-nothing clothing bill for Caleb so far. Very nice, especially when you consider how quickly they grow out of these things.

Stay out of the "new" stores if you want to save on the clothes...like you said, some of these places, the clothes got worn a few times then sold off. Shop at Kid to Kid or some other used clothing shops and you'll have more money to spend on things like food, or electricity. Or a new camera gadget for Andy. :)