Sunday, July 22, 2012

Weighing In, In a Different Sense

I have been a little lazy about blogging lately. I've had a few things in mind to blog about, but they never come to fruition because I have been glued to the Kindle. I've read a ton the past few months during the spare moments, thanks to free or dirt-cheap Kindle books (perhaps the rare full-price-but-still-relatively-cheap-because-it's-Kindle indulgence when it seems worth it).

I was most intrigued and distracted by the Rebecca Forster "Witness" series. The first of the series, Hostile Witness, is free on Kindle, and the following 3 are $3.99 each. I absolutely couldn't put them down, and even though they were fairly long, it took me just a few days to read each, stealing any moment I could to get a little reading in. Another worthwhile free one was Speculation by Edmund Jorgensen. It's a real thinking novel, lots of philosophy. It was a different pace than my typical legal thriller, but it was fun to think a little harder than usual. I'm back to reading a different Rebecca Forster book now outside the Witness series, and I'm enjoying it as well. Great author.

Anyways, I am about a month late on this, but here's the 2-year-old run-down:

Macy at 2:

Height: 36.2 in. (95th %ile)
Weight: 31 lbs. (91st %ile)
BMI: 16.66 (56th %ile)

Liam at 2:

Height: 35 3/4 in. (83rd %ile)
Weight: 30.1 lbs. (75th %ile)
BMI: 16.54 (49th %ile)

There you go. Still the same kid. I think Macy's height may be a little overestimated here because she was being very uncooperative while they did the measurement lying down. When I charted her on her growth chart, she came in a little under 36. It would make sense if she really is in a slightly lower percentile for height than weight because she's a little chubbier at any given age than Toothpick Boy has been.

A little more weighing in on the new life:

-If you're not staying home with your kids, want to, but think you can't, please talk to me. I am amazed by how much easier it has been to pull this thing off, to change a mindset, than I originally had thought. I never thought we "could," and for a long time, finances were the major thing holding us back. Now that we are in the throes of it, it has been a whole lot easier than I ever imagined. We had a LOT of spending we needed to cut, and these first two months at least, we have done it. At the risk of speaking too soon, our last two credit card bills were half of our typical bill. I have no idea how. We must have spent much more frivolously than I had ever thought before. Though we have cut SO much, and I've had to spend so very carefully and strategically, I don't feel it as much as I did at the beginning or as much as I thought that I would. I'm not missing as much of the stuff that originally I considered "sacrifice."

-Andy went to church without the rest of us today, and it's funny that he came back and told me that the sermon was about letting go and observing the Sabbath. While he was gone, the following thought ran through my mind: "I know it is Sunday and I should forego anything more than being lazy, but what's more work for me? Going about the day pretending that the floor has not been swept in two days and pretending that the mystery dried splatters on the floor don't exist, or pulling out the broom and the Shark and giving it a once-over?" I opted to go with the latter, and I feel a ton better now and much more able to enjoy the rest of my Sunday. I am not sure that God agrees with my line of reasoning.

I wouldn't call my house spotless or totally picked up, but my mindset on how I keep the house has changed a lot now that I actually live here. Before, I wouldn't touch a darn thing in the 3 weeks between cleaning-lady visits other than the bathroom vanity once a week. Now, I don't even want a cleaning lady because by the time she'd come, I'd have done everything myself. When I'm home all day and having to live with it, I can't let a dirty room go. Nothing's worse than trying to walk on my own kitchen floor and getting crumbs stuck to the bottom of my feet. The broom ends up coming out twice a day, and even so, I never fail to be impressed by the robustness of my pile of sweepings.

-God is good.

1 comment:

Emmuh said...

So, I'm impressed that you are able to stay home. Impressed, jealous, oddly questioning your words cause you could be lying? No, seriously. If I could, I would. I just don't see how cutting out 50% of our take-home would be possible, you know? I'd love to hear about how you've done it. All my friends are well-off and stay-at-homers, so they are ladies who lunch every day and have cleaning ladies and still get babysitters. I couldn't be like that, so I've discounted staying at home at all. But maybe I'm wrong to do so. Email me if you have a chance about your suggestions.
And in other news, I cannot sleep/eat/pray or anything else if my house is a wreck. There's a certain threshold I hit, where I could have lived with the mess, and then the 3rd splatter on my floor does me in. I feel much better after cleaning, even if it means missing church. There is a lot of holiness in getting things done at home. Sometimes you can find God if you can just find the floor under all the toys!