I took my 1-hour glucose test on Monday. My doctor's office calls only if there's a problem, so my doctor said if I could make it to Friday with no phone calls, I could consider myself home free. Thursday I was feeling elated that I had not gotten a call, and I was thinking "just a few more hours without a phone call! Come on!" On my way out of work that afternoon, I took my phone out and saw that I had a voicemail. Before listening to it, I checked the call log to see who it was from. As soon as I saw my doctor's office's phone number there, I knew.
Now I have to spend three hours of my Friday off sitting in the waiting room, getting my blood drawn every hour. I kind of expected it, as my body has been reacting this time when it knows that it's taken in too much. I can start feeling myself getting a little jittery, and I have to drink a lot of water to bring me back. Now I am just trying to decide what would be the better strategy: lay off the sugar to bring my glucose levels down before Friday, or keep eating sugar so that I keep my tolerance up? I don't really know how it works. I guess I just won't be surprised with the outcome either way.
Speaking of water - I've lost most of my aversions. Within the last couple weeks or so, I started enjoying ice water and chicken. That's big. If I can handle those two things, I can handle most others (except for my vitamins and toothpaste - those are still a nightly struggle).
Now don't expect me to get all warm and fuzzy towards pregnancy when I say this (you know that there are few constants in life, but you can always count on me disliking the process of pregnancy), but I am actually feeling better right now than I have felt at any point during either pregnancy. Weird - I remember being just DONE by this point last time. I'm really not there yet. I'm sleeping pretty well (thank you, calcium supplement - 1000mg worth in the form of Tums - helps the reflux and acts quickly to put me to sleep). I do still wake up about 3 times per night and have to go to the bathroom, but I go right back to sleep when I hit the pillow. I feel like I am having an easier time functioning now than I did the whole second trimester.
Ask me again in 2 weeks, of course. It could be a different story. Right now, though, the hardest thing is not the physical, but rather knowing that 2 months stand in between me and meeting my little girl (and having a nice margarita).
I don't think that the general American population has a true appreciation for coconut custard pie. I made two of them for our Easter egg hunt at church, and no one else really dug into them besides Andy and me. I know that it's not the most aesthetically pleasing dessert (especially next to the pink-frosted cupcakes with pastel sprinkles), but when has sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and butter ever mixed together to create something less than amazing? Oh well - we have a whole pie all to ourselves now!
I finally brought myself to take the tags off of all of baby's clothes and wash them. I think a part of me felt like I needed one more ultrasound to confirm that she hadn't grown any extra parts before I officially made everything non-returnable. I mean, not like most of them were within their respective return policy time limits anyway, and not like I have any idea where the receipts are. Of course, no small part of it was due to laziness. I feel better now that it's done, but one thing I didn't count on with this whole having-a-girl thing was that you have to IRON baby clothes!! REALLY?? It wasn't so much the cotton rompers, but some of the cuter little dresses and outfits that came out looking a little ragged.
After doing Liam's and Baby Girl's laundry all in the same day, I thought "if there was any inkling of a doubt that we're stopping at 2, it's gone now!!" The increase in the volume of laundry just did not come into mind when we had family-planning talks. Had it done so, we might have waited until Liam could do his own laundry to start trying for #2!
I shouldn't have done it, and I know I shouldn't have done it, but I did. I Googled baby girl's first and middle name. The site at the top of the list was one that required a password to enter. The second, though, was a heartbreaking site dedicated to a little girl with the same name who lived 31 hours before dying of Trisomy 18. Ugh - I wish I hadn't seen that. First of all, my heart can't handle stories of babies dying. Second, I just hope I can get that out of my mind. I doubt it's any kind of omen; I am sure that there are similar stories for any baby name you Google.
I also saw it come up under a site dedicated to bad baby names. I was like, ohhh nooo! I have read this particular site and found it hilarious. Its author takes the questions and names posed in existing baby name polls and comments on them. Luckily, when I found it, it was just that it was one choice among a bunch of names that had "y's" in the middle, and the author was making fun of the random "y" epidemic. Baby girl's name just happened to be one of the other choices and wasn't being ridiculed - it doesn't have a "y" in the middle.
I did find a few baby name polls where it received good feedback, and didn't see anything negative. Of course, not everyone will like it, which is why I need to stay away from trying to find feedback on it. It'll only lead to second-guessing.
*Sigh* I just can't wait - whether you like her name or not!
1 comment:
I hope your 3hr test goes well. I remember sleeping in between the blood draws.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that didn't love being pregnant.
Also, the bad baby name website and board associated with it are hilarious. That said, as long as you and Andy are happy with the name you picked out for your little girl that is really all that matters.
Post a Comment